I fish at Merrymeeting Lake in New Durham pretty often. Since I don't have a boat, I usually fish near the dock at the dam/boat launch. Last fall, I went there and saw groups of pretty good sized fish hanging out on the rocks by the dam (probably about 15-25"). They were definately not bass. At first I thought they were suckers, since they didn't seem to spook easily and they couldn't be less interested in the nightcrawlers that I dragged practically across their faces. But then I saw a couple swim by, and when the light hit them they were covered in spots. This made me think possibly brown trout or maybe lakers? I've never caught either so I'm not sure. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Posted Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01 am

good luck getting a reply on this website! ask the question in MAFF. maybe those guys could help ya! that one is very active

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 am

ecasey1981

I fish at Merrymeeting Lake in New Durham pretty often. Since I don't have a boat, I usually fish near the dock at the dam/boat launch. Last fall, I went there and saw groups of pretty good sized fish hanging out on the rocks by the dam (probably about 15-25"). They were definately not bass. At first I thought they were suckers, since they didn't seem to spook easily and they couldn't be less interested in the nightcrawlers that I dragged practically across their faces. But then I saw a couple swim by, and when the light hit them they were covered in spots. This made me think possibly brown trout or maybe lakers? I've never caught either so I'm not sure. Does anyone have any thoughts?

look again..Suckers,there just waking up

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 am

I think it's safe to say they were Common White Suckers, just by your description of their behavior; very large, lazy, in groups, and don't spook or strike at anything. The spots and mottling could just be a result of the lake's ecology.
Suckers and their spawn/minnows are a favorite food source for both Lake and Rainbow Trout, especially if there are multiple tributaries running in and out of the lake.
If they were Lake Trout, they were running shallow and probably would have ran back to the deep with a quickness as soon as they caught wind of you.

Posted Fri May 02, 2014 11:15 pm

NH Fish Finder

Social Links